Friday, May 2, 2014



GSOC & ME…




Being an undergraduate of Department of Electronic & Telecommunication Engineering, University of Moratuwa, I wondered what Google Summer of Code is.

At first it was all about money in 2012! I was first year undergraduate then, my fellow undergraduates buy Apple stuff, DSLR cameras. So I felt it would be nice if I also could take part in GSOC. In 2013 it was a dream. Many of my own batch mates took part in it. 
Then it comes my industrial training semester and I selected to Virtusa, one of the biggest IT companies in Sri Lanka. I got exposure to coding and then what?

GSOC 2014 announced! Now that I understood this is not all about money, but will be a lifetime experience for me.

First I was looking on a  project from Joomla . But when the accepted organizations were announced, I saw WSO2 in the list. I got more information about the project “Implement Registry Extension (RXT) 2.0 + Associated UI support” from a senior who worked in WSO2 governance registry. I was interested on the topic & managed to understand the project to certain level even I was not much aware about all.

After some mail exchanges with some team members of Governance Registry, I cleared my vision on project and its deliverables, did some experiments on my own and with help from other resource people  I wrote the proposal for GSOC 2014.

It was exactly the beginning of an awesome journey.
On April 21 st  2014!
I was in a dream when got up and rushed to mélange site.
Yey…

Dream was out there…




1 comment: